couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:36:30 GMT

On Feb 9, 2009, at 9:27 AM, Mister Donut wrote:

>> I'm suspecting here
>> that you assume that views are created on demand, based on user-
>> input.
>
> No, I understand.
>
>> Totally generic object behaviour abstractions
>> in SQL need something like 8 tables, there's no way this flies :)
>
> No, I was talking about the "Stuffing" implementation. All it does is
> adding a schema-free field to an existing database? I just don't see
> what it has anything to do with CouchDB?
>
>> How? (Assuming you have a use-case in mind, can you explain that?)
>
> Again, about the "Stuffing". It doesn't handle the lack of immediate
> consistency. This is just what I seem to observe here. Everyone
> praises the schema-free and JSON, but noone keeps the *eventual*
> consistency in mind?
>
>> Again, can you wrap that into a concrete example, I don't quite get
>> what
>> that mini-RDBMS is and how your understanding of replication ties
>> into that :)
>
> You have to deal with the *eventual* consistency in your applications
> don't you? And isn't that incredibly hard and expensive? I mean just
> think about the end user, when he might put something in CouchDB, but
> not immediatly see it, in fact, it might be gone for a very long time.
> What interactive application can work with that?

Actually that's not true. We aren't using a system like SimpleDB
where your changes might not be immediately available in subsequent
queries by the same user. Eventually consistency in CouchDB refers to
remote replication, where multiple changes that otherwise should be
grouped together won't necessary replicate together, and certainly not
in one transaction. But eventually they all get there.

-Damien