couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replicating partial databases, and validation
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 22:43:46 GMT

On Feb 15, 2009, at 2:10 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

> I'm interested in using CouchDB in a peer-to-peer fashion to
> propagate content between nodes that don't necessarily trust each
> other. The available documentation sort of runs out before getting
> to many of the aspects I'm interested in [I am eagerly awaiting more
> chapters of the book!] but from reading the list archives and
> people's blog posts, it sounds like it should be do-able. I'm just
> not clear on the details.
>
> • Is it possible to pull part of a database? For example, I might to
> pull only nodes whose names start with a particular prefix, or whose
> content contains a particular key/value pair.

Not yet, but my plan is you send a javascript function to a server,
and it's used to figure out which documents to replicate. The function
is invoked with each document that's potentially going to replicate,
and the function returns true or false.

> • Can the server validate the content of documents being pulled from
> another DB? I may want to disallow updates that modify an "author:"
> property, or whose "date:" property isn't in a valid format. Or I
> might want to check a digital signature[1] on each incoming entry.

It's broken when used currently, but yes. This will work is part of
the replication security work that's coming. hopefully soon.

> • Likewise, can the server validate docs being posted directly,
> outside of replication?

That's already there.

> Some sort of generic validator hook that got called on all docs
> being added to the db, and could give thumbs up or down, would
> suffice. One of jchris's blog posts[2] implies this exists, but he's
> deciphering its functionality from a unit test, and as a total
> newbie I couldn't follow the details of what this hook is capable of.

This is pretty much how it's intended to work, but for now it's
incomplete.

-Damien