couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: How to configure HTTP caching headers?
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:44:00 GMT
On 13.02.2009, at 13:00, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> Just taking my first steps with CouchDB. I notice that the HTTP
> caching headers
> currently put out cause IE (for example) to not display information
> correctly in
> Futon. It's easy to reproduce: I open windows in Firefox and IE
> simultaneously,
> do an update using Firefox (e.g. add a new document) and refresh the
> IE window.
> The updated document count is not shown. If I clear the browser
> cache and try
> again, the updated information is displayed.
>
> The HTTP header put out is
> Cache-Control: must-revalidate
>
> which seems to me insufficient - for IE, at least. Is there way of
> configuring
> these headers, to for example
>
> Cache-Control: no-cache
> Pragma: no-cache
> Expires: some date in the past, or the same value as the Date: header

This is due to extra-aggressive (and against the HTTP spec) caching
that IE does on XMLHTTPRequests.

A patch would need to do user agent sniffing to conditionally add the
"cache: false" parameter to the jQuery ajax() invocations in
jquery.couch.js (and maybe elsewhere). I wouldn't want to add this for
all user agents, as it basically circumvents any caching for AJAX
requests (even for not-craptastically-broken implementations), and
thus would add quite a bit of unnecessary overhead.

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de