couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: quick poll - how many databases do you have?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:36:36 GMT

On 24 Feb 2009, at 21:27, Stefan Karpinski wrote:

> It seems awkward to have to name your databases (external) so that the
> directory structure of the storage system (interal) is happy. Would
> it not
> make sense for couchdb to automatically store databases in a tree to
> avoid
> this concern? SHA1 hashing the name of the database and then using
> the first
> k letters of the hex hash value would make a lot of sense. That
> would allow
> database names to contain anything you want without having to worry
> about
> whether the filesystem allows those characters, and it's inherently
> case
> insensitive. It also would automatically balance the number of items
> in each
> directory.

It would also create a non-obvious mapping of databases on the
filesystem to
databases through the HTTP API (poor admins!). Antony Blakey proposed a
patch to make database look like <7bit-ascii-slug>-<unique-hash> which
would
adress the "anything" issue, but he never finished it.

But this (and your proposal as well) would still be open for putting
everything
in <dbdir>/a/b/c if you craft your db name's hashes to start with "abc".

I like the /-trick.

If there's further discussion on this, it should happen on dev@. Thanks.

Cheers
Jan