couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alessio Pace <alessio.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about couchDB algorithms
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:49:14 GMT
Hi,

I have just discovered couchDB and I'm very interested in knowing more about
the internal details of it, because apart from reading that is multi-master
and that the system is eventually consistent, I don't see much informations
about other various key design things (I apologize if I wasn't able to find
them), like:

- update propagation through gossiping: based on any known algorithm?

- group membership among the various site: how is it done, through
gossiping? If so, based on any known algorithm?

- are sites required to accept incoming connections (-> can I replicate on
nodes behind NAT?)

- how are conflicts detected? Do you use explicit representation of
operations, vector clocks, ... or what?

- do you have datas on how much it scales with respect to number of
databases/documents/sites ? And, does its way of working adapt to changes in
the amount of those factors?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Best regards,
Alessio Pace.