couchdb-user mailing list archives

From kowsik <kow...@gmail.com>
Subject Thoughts on document/views...
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:22:51 GMT
Just something that occurred to me and wanted to run it by you guys.
For pcapr, I have a number of different types of documents in
couch-db, some are comments, some are about the packets, etc. Now, I
have views that do something like this:

map: function(doc) {
    if (doc.type == 'comment') emit(...);
}

With a large set of documents and a large set of views, any new
document or updates to document is passed to __all__ of the views
(when the view is eventually invoked). But I "know" that my documents
come in classes and that only certain views really apply to them. I'm
thinking of a view as a static method on a class that gets some
information about the instances.

What I'm getting at is, does it make sense to have some type of
document "class" attribute and then have views bound to these classes?
The goal, of course, being that couch-db can pre-filter a lot of these
things and only run the views for the appropriate types of documents.

Thoughts?

K.