couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Aljord <patc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:45:05 GMT
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Mister Donut <lady.donut@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think you understand my point.
> Yes, I know. Maybe you should re-read.
> You still need one lookup for every blog entry on a page.

No, you can do so with only one query using Map/Reduce.

>> startkey, endkey and limit.
>
> That sounds so great. But wait. LIMIT.
> I know that from SQL. It doesn't scale.

That's what caching is for.

> Jumping to page 1234567 of ten million. Please, no.

What's the point of that? Unless you expect your number of comments to
never grow, in which case caching will do.

> And you cannot, ever, group items based on a variable criteria.

You can do that with Map/Reduce.

> I challenge you. Build me a counter!

Create a view that gets all the comments and get them with limit=0,
there's your counter.