couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com>
Subject Re: playing with tags
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:05:08 GMT
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Kerr Rainey <kerr.rainey@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/2/12 Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com>:
> > This is an issue that has been nagging at me lately. Storing tags in the
> doc
> > seems like a recipe for disaster (that is, if you consider view
> contention
> > disaster). I would argue that tags (and other readily changeable
> > user-specific state information like read/unread, favorite, blah blah)
> > should be kept in separate docs and bridged together in views.
>
> Erm... why do think tags for a blog post would be rapidly changing?
> They would be set by the owner of a post and that's it.  The
> likelihood of a tag changing in this scenario is no greater than the
> post being edited.  It's meta info, but clearly part of the post.  You
> won't have many people try to update the same post, or at least the
> contention on that is very low.

Perhaps in this scenario, but take a feed reader, for instance. When a user
is tagging feeds, it is subject to change at a much different rate than the
otherwise static content. Even in a single user scenario, once replication
is introduced (say, to a local instance of the app), it's easy to imagine a
situation where things get messy. Then imagine read/unread metadata, and all
the others types of user data associated with this otherwise static content.