couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replicating partial databases, and validation
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 01:10:23 GMT

On 16 Feb 2009, at 02:01, Jens Alfke wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2009, at 11:10 AM, I wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in using CouchDB in a peer-to-peer fashion to
>> propagate content between nodes that don't necessarily trust each
>> other.
>
> FYI, I just finished writing a breathless blog post on this topic,
> including an enthusiastic endorsement of CouchDB:
> 	http://mooseyard.com/Jens/2009/02/what-will-web-30-be/
>
> In a nutshell: My hope is that “Web 3.0” (which I agree is a silly
> term and an over-generalization) will center around the
> decentralization of Web applications. Web 2.0 distributed content
> production out to the end users, but the servers hosting the data
> and the apps are still monolithic and proprietary. I've been hoping
> for a long time that things can evolve in a more distributed (if not
> truly peer-to-peer) direction, and CouchDB really seems like a big
> step toward there.

Thanks Jens, that's a very good read and it nicely summarizes
what we strive for. I know you've been reading Chris's blog and
our book so I guess you came across CouchApp. There's a separate
mailing list* (and IRC channel** on Freenode) to push that particular
building block of what you describe as the next version of the web :)

* http://groups.google.com/group/couchapp/
** #couchapp

Also, thanks for plugging the book *and* the nice feedback :)

Cheers
Jan