couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wmert...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: [user] Thoughts on document/views...
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 18:28:34 GMT
On Feb 11, 2009, at 7:22 PM, kowsik wrote:

> Just something that occurred to me and wanted to run it by you guys.
> For pcapr, I have a number of different types of documents in
> couch-db, some are comments, some are about the packets, etc. Now, I
> have views that do something like this:
>
> map: function(doc) {
>    if (doc.type == 'comment') emit(...);
> }
>
> With a large set of documents and a large set of views, any new
> document or updates to document is passed to __all__ of the views
> (when the view is eventually invoked). But I "know" that my documents
> come in classes and that only certain views really apply to them. I'm
> thinking of a view as a static method on a class that gets some
> information about the instances.
>
> What I'm getting at is, does it make sense to have some type of
> document "class" attribute and then have views bound to these classes?
> The goal, of course, being that couch-db can pre-filter a lot of these
> things and only run the views for the appropriate types of documents.

I'm probably speaking before my turn being such a newbie, but why
wouldn't you create a new database for disjoint classes of documents?

Also, once a view is run on a document, it doesn't get re-run that
often does it?

So other than eating diskspace, maybe there's not really anything
wrong with keeping everything in one db.

Wout.