couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <>
Subject Re: quick poll - how many databases do you have?
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:12:09 GMT

On 24 Feb 2009, at 15:03, Sho Fukamachi wrote:

> On 21/02/2009, at 10:40 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> Many. For certain applications it makes sense to have a db per user.
> Careful with that approach if there is any chance of having a lot of
> users, or you don't control the machine. All the database files go
> into one directory.
> Personally I consider the "too many files in one directory" hype to
> be a little overdone but still wouldn't want more than a few
> thousand, and if you're not root, I've seen low limits set by quota
> systems as well which could be an issue in managed environments.
> Just something to bear in mind ...

   All database files are stored in a single directory on the file
system. If your database includes a / CouchDB will create a sub-
directory structure in the database directory. That is, a database
named his/her, the database file will be available at $dbdir/his/
her.couch. This is useful when you a large number of databases and
your file system does not like that.

View raw message