couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The Blog
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 13:15:30 GMT

On 09/02/2009, at 11:19 PM, Mister Donut wrote:

> I would just, really really really, like to see an example that goes
> beyond schema-free. That handles replication. I think that would show
> where CouchDB shines, and where you'd fail with a RDBMS.

I presume you've seen http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/
CouchDB_in_the_wild.

CouchDB is useful even where you wouldn't fail with an RDBMS. The data
model, HTTP API, and map/reduce materialised views are features that
makes some applications considerable easier to conceptualise, design,
write, deploy and manage, and that's ignoring replication.

Considering replication, I'm about to deploy an application platform
that uses replication to distribute read-only data *and* applications
that use that data in a p2p mesh. I don't know how I would do that
using an RDBMS - I guess I'd end up replicating CouchDB's mechanism in
some form.

A putative extension to that gig is to make it into a p2p read/write
collaborative content development platform. Once again, CouchDB
replication to the rescue.

I have another contract about to start for a server app where all the
data is maintained on the client's desktop, previewed with full
functionality, and then replicated to an EC2 instance. This can be
done with traditional databases, but it's trivial with CouchDB, which
has allowed me to both outcompete on price and improve my development
margin. That's one definition of success.

Furthermore, in each of these gigs, having the content in JSON is
amazingly convenient. In some cases I need joins and dynamic queries,
but I can do that using Couch's _external mechanism that allows
alternative indexing.

In one case I've gone through three delivered versions, from Java/
Spring/Hibernate/Postgresql, to VisualWorks Smalltalk/GLORP/Postgresql
to CouchDB/Merb/Ruby. IMO Ruby/Smalltalk are to Java as CouchDB is to
an RDBMS. I never want to go back. Well, apart from going back to
Smalltalk.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

If a train station is a place where a train stops, what's a workstation?