couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Randall Leeds" <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 06:43:53 GMT
> > 1. Remove the _temp_view facility completely, because you can use a
> > temporary _design view, at which point you should understand the
> performance
> > implications, and it cleans up the code.

+1

> 2. Leave it as _temp_view, because it does the equivalent of view
> > create/query/delete view in a single POST, and you can document the
> > performance issue.

+0

> 3. Change it to _slow_view, because compared to _temp_view, the name
> should
> > act as an immediate warning for people who haven't read the
> documentation.

-0

I like _temp_view more than _slow_view because the view is not necessarily
slow. It's no slower than a _design doc view the first time you access it.
_temp_view immediately makes me think "this is something which is not meant
to be used repeatedly or permanently, and I should not really use this in an
app."

Really, I think _debug_view comes closest to conveying what I think such
views are actually *for*. _temp_view is closer to _debug_view in connotation
than _slow_view to me.

But really, just remove it altogether seems the wisest solution.

-Randall