couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Randall Leeds" <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: Extending immutability
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 05:35:53 GMT
On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 23:07, Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, I'm not sure that having the rev available on the view row
> makes a difference. The indexer cares about the keys and values, if
> they've changed, they've changed.

This is true. However, it could be very expensive to compare the keys and
values to see if they've changed. You could put the burden on the
application developer to get around this by including some checksum in the
view, or just leverage the immutability of CouchDB's revisions and provide
it for free by returning the revision. I like this idea because it enables
this blurry use case we're all sort of imagining together while keeping the
actual map function focused on the real data that needs to be returned (as
opposed to metadata that enables some slick performance gain).

-Randall