couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB huge performance difference between Mac OS / Linux
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:03:26 GMT
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 5:51 AM, Niket Patel <nexneo@me.com> wrote:
> My problem seems to solve for now. with following change in M/R functions,
>
> // from forEach loop ...
> values.forEach(function(r) {
> });
>
> // to simple for loops ...
> for( var i in values ){
> }
>
> I don't know what is cost of each approach.

curious. I'd expect those to to be the same (functionally) with
perhaps a slightly greater cost for the forEach version, as it has to
set up a scope context for the inner function on each iteration.

> I wish if couchdb handle this things more gracefully with descriptive
> errors.

We've got a push going to increase error handling message quality.
It's hard because it usually doesn't happen until one of the core-devs
finds themselves having created an error (which happens less as you
get accustomed to CouchDB). When I see something unhelpful, I tend to
fix it, as I might not have that opportunity again.

Maybe we can setup an error-coral, where people post unhelpful error
message to friendpaste with the proper tags, and others can set about
trying to make the errors more helpful. Does Friendpaste have tags? :)

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com