couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Developing a Python CouchDB surrogate
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 21:47:06 GMT
On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Pacific Science <pacsciadmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> To all,
>
> I'm pretty sure we can all agree that CouchDB is cool. However, there
> are a lot of places where Erlang is not available. So, I came up with an
> idea to write (in Python, because that's my first language) a sort of
> CouchDB surrogate for situations where you want to use CouchDB, but you
> can't use Erlang, like:
>
> - You have Portable Python on your flash drive and want to code for
> CouchDB on the go.
> - Your Web host doesn't have CouchDB support.
> - Your boss doesn't want to go to the expense of installing Erlang until
> there's a working prototype.
>
> At any rate, the development of this (which would be named Ottoman,
> unless someone can think of a cooler name) would focus not so much on
> speed, performance, or reliability, but matching CouchDB's API (though
> the first three are nice, too). Of course, some features would be cut at
> the start, like external view servers (just built-in Python view
> support), external processes, etc.

This is a cool project. If I were undertaking it, I'd start by getting
as many of the CouchDB test suite tests to pass against my server as
possible. Once you have them all passing, you've won!

The hard part will be replication and it's interaction with security
and validation.

Good luck!

--
Chris Anderson