couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 04:40:45 GMT
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:51 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll just go on record as saying I'd rather keep _temp_view and I think
>> they should be renamed _slow_views.

Considering that everyone has so many viewpoints on this question, I'm
sorry I was so hasty. I didn't mean to pull the rug out from anyone -
I was just trying to nab some low-hanging fruit that I'd (mistakenly)
thought we had a rough consensus on.

As far as outcome, I'm happy with whatever makes the group happy. I'm
sympathetic to arguments that we can't document our way out of
_temp_views misuse.

Perhaps we could throw a 500 error and cancel the view build if it
starts to take more than 45 seconds, or some user configurable amount
of time (maybe it could even be overridden from the query string...).
That seems like an awful lot of work for something that doesn't really
let you do anything special except shoot yourself in the foot.

>> I'm in favor of keeping slow views, I think the benefit they
>> cleanly provide to new users is very helpful.

I'd like to make the case again that it'd be possible to drop the
feature without changing Futon in any material way. As far as other
libraries, I imagine they'd take an argument giving the design doc
name. As far as handling Update Conflicts, I think that would be up to
the library.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com