couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sort by date and find by key
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 03:31:43 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Nicolas Fouché <nicolas@silentale.com>wrote:
>
>> OK, that's what I was thinking. I currently have all my documents in
>> full-text search indexes. I guess I'll use CouchDB for storage and
>> some reduce functions to build dashboards, and not for my
>> "complicated" queries.
>> I don't want to load my indexes down with the document content. For
>> more efficiency, they would only contain the reverse indexes.
>>
>> As far as I know, the _external process cannot return document ids to
>> CouchDB, so CouchDB returns the full document to the caller. Would you
>> recommend doing this on the cliend side ? Query the index, and then
>> query CouchDB with a bunch of keys ?
>

> This is probably a question for Paul D as he's done quite a bit of work in
> this area (and is also working on a pure Erlang FTI as couch plugin). The
> _external hook returns full docs, sure, but you control the scripts that
> pump data into your external indices.

Unless I'm very much mistaken on changes made to the _external code,
there's nothing that requires you to return full docs whatsoever. The
complete response can be specified by the OS process. _external is
extremely shallow in terms of what it requires as a response. You can
mimic views or do something entirely different with them. For all it
cares, you could draw mandlebrot fractals in JSON and return that as a
body.