couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <>
Subject Re: Sort by date and find by key
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2009 03:31:43 GMT
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Dean Landolt <> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Nicolas Fouché <>wrote:
>> OK, that's what I was thinking. I currently have all my documents in
>> full-text search indexes. I guess I'll use CouchDB for storage and
>> some reduce functions to build dashboards, and not for my
>> "complicated" queries.
>> I don't want to load my indexes down with the document content. For
>> more efficiency, they would only contain the reverse indexes.
>> As far as I know, the _external process cannot return document ids to
>> CouchDB, so CouchDB returns the full document to the caller. Would you
>> recommend doing this on the cliend side ? Query the index, and then
>> query CouchDB with a bunch of keys ?
> This is probably a question for Paul D as he's done quite a bit of work in
> this area (and is also working on a pure Erlang FTI as couch plugin). The
> _external hook returns full docs, sure, but you control the scripts that
> pump data into your external indices.

Unless I'm very much mistaken on changes made to the _external code,
there's nothing that requires you to return full docs whatsoever. The
complete response can be specified by the OS process. _external is
extremely shallow in terms of what it requires as a response. You can
mimic views or do something entirely different with them. For all it
cares, you could draw mandlebrot fractals in JSON and return that as a

> But don't forget that couch is more than a db -- it's an app server. It
> wouldn't hurt to poke around github for some of the pdavis work on this. You
> may be surprised with what you could accomplish by using couch as a proxy to
> and interface for other query mechanisms. Also, I'm pretty sure some of this
> FI stuff is set for inclusion by 1.0, which is nice.

View raw message