couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Decision making process (Re: Changing rev to _rev in view results (Was: Re: newbie question #1))
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:57:20 GMT

On 03/01/2009, at 12:03 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> It's worth noting that we may never make a decision, or the decision
> might take
> a long time. Looking back at the newline proposal, we never decided
> consensus
> was to reject it outright, but we never resolved it the other way
> either. One of
> us could move to call a vote, but we all feel its better to wait for
> consensus.

Is this voting/decision-making process visible? If I'm trying to
effect a change, how can I judge what would get it over the line i.e.
who objects and for what reasons? How do I ensure that my patch isn't
stuck in development hell while the PMC (maybe) waits for consensus to
(maybe never) emerge?

If I have a change in mind, I would prefer where possible to get at
least a majority of the PMC on side before doing (possibly a lot of)
work. It looks like it is only when a patch is up for approval that
any real decision will be made i.e. I can't prompt a decision on the
metadata thread without doing all the work, which may be pointless.
That makes a proposal very expensive, especially if the PMC doesn't
operate in a predictable fashion. That in turn makes it less likely
that people will contribute, and seem to be a strategic weakness.

IMO an improvement to this process would be a mechanism to submit a
proposal to the *PMC*, to get some definitive feedback, the contract
being that I'll do the proposal and the implementation in return for
the PMC being prepared to give a provisional indication that a) such
work would not be in vain; or b) the proposal won't be pursued; or c)
more work is needed, but it's not out of the question; and/or d) some
comment about what would need to be addressed to move forward. All of
which is to say: is the PMC reified in some way that doesn't involve
canvassing each member individually?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that
to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.
   -- Steve Jobs