couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Kurt Mackey <k...@arstechnica.com>
Subject Considerations for lots and lots of databases?
Date Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:19:48 GMT
I really, really like not having to deal with schema updates.  Given that I don't have to worry
about this in quite the same way with Couch, I've been wondering what the downsides are to
splitting data into multiple databases on a SaaS project.  The idea is that each account/customer
would get their own database, rather than simply marking documents with an "owner".

Now, the obvious downside is that it makes it more difficult to do cross-customer queries.
 But what other problems are there with this idea?  Assuming that there were lots and lots
and lots of accounts, what performance implications are there to giving each their own DB
rather than making them all share?

-Kurt