couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2009 21:10:21 GMT
On 04.01.2009, at 19:38, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> switched.
>
> we happily break the API pre 0.9 :)

I'd like to throw in a bit of caution here. I agree that API breakage
is totally acceptable prior to 1.0, but it shouldn't be done just for
fun. This renaming of _temp_view to _slow_view is IMHO a bit on the
silly side and definitely not worth breaking client code, plus
anything written about couchdb outside the space we control (blog
articles, etc).

In general, I think that API changes, even at this point, should be
done with care. Building a thriving ecosystem of client applications
and libraries is going to get pretty tough when people get the
perception that things change around arbitrarily for no good reason.

But even ignoring backwards compatibility, I'm not a fan of this
change. _temp_view makes the difference between temp views and regular
views pretty clear in that they are one-off views that don't get
stored. Now, if someone doesn't understand that that makes them slow,
they better get back to reading the basics about how views in CouchDB
work. Also, "slow views" aren't really any slower than, erm, "fast
views" when you run either only once. And when are we going to rename /
_view to /_fast_view to make it clear that they're "faster"? And are
we seriously going to refer to temp views as "slow views" from now on?
Really? :P

So, to summarize, I think this change is misguided, and breaking
compatibility for no good reason rubs me the wrong way. This is only
slightly offset by the fact that client code shouldn't be using temp
views in the first place.

Cheers,
Chris

--