couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:59:53 GMT

On 05/01/2009, at 10:13 PM, Robert Dionne wrote:

> In the early days of DB2, queries that were know to be slow were
> called ad-hoc and strictly verboten in production code. I can see
> where people my want to keep these, even knowing they are slow.
> Perhaps _ad_hoc_view would bring  provide this caution, without
> calling them "slow". As was mentioned, they are all slow the first
> time.

Using a more subtle name for something will only work for english
speakers. Everyone else will rely on the documentation. So the
documentation had better explain this issue very clearly, and hence
the name doesn't really matter.

On the one hand, it doesn't really matter what it's called, although
given that it will be in english it may as well mean something in
english. However I do thing the the underlying reality is that the
view is created only for the duration of the call - modulo the server
keeping it around just in case :), and this is the key differentiator
from permanent views. Temporary is the word that most clearly
describes that characteristic. And while ad-hoc might be the opposite
of 'designed', IMO the use of _design is really a substitute for
_view_definition, rather than describing a characteristic of the thing
e.g. 'this is a designed, not ad-hoc thing'. Or maybe, just maybe, I'm
overthinking this issue?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Reflecting on W.H. Auden's contemplation of 'necessary murders' in the
Spanish Civil War, George Orwell wrote that such amorality was only
really possible, 'if you are the kind of person who is always
somewhere else when the trigger is pulled'.
   -- John Birmingham, "Appeasing Jakarta"