couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Van Pelt" <vanp...@gmail.com>
Subject Slooooow views
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:49:46 GMT
I'm pretty new to couch, and I'm wondering if there is a way to
improve the performance of my views.  My views are very slow during
generation, but also during simple queries.

A request to one of my views after it is fully updated takes 2-4
seconds.  The view is rather complex, using compound keys and an
involved reduce step, but I assumed that didn't matter once the update
step was complete.  I have 10000 documents in my DB.

The update step, after adding 11 documents, takes 23 seconds.

Because I have a web server talking directly to couch, I can't afford
requests taking longer than a few seconds.  Ideally my requests would
be in the tenths of seconds.  How do people deal with this in the real
world?  I understand I can fire off view generation manually, but than
all other requests hang while the view is being generated.

I've also been looking for a way to edit my views without taking down
my entire site for the 15 minutes it takes to regenerate the entire
index.  It seems plausible to keep the old index around for queries
while the new index is being created, no?

Chris