couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there a way to force a rebuild of an index?
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:16:36 GMT

On 19 Jan 2009, at 14:06, Jason Huggins wrote:

> Hi, all!
>
> Quick Question:
> Is there a way to *force* CouchDB to rebuild all indexes in some
> stronger way than using the HTTP API?
>
> Why I ask:
> I'm running 0.8.0-incubating on Ubuntu (Hardy Heron). I'm trying to
> move my couchdb files from an old server to a new server, using this
> filesystem backup doc in the wiki as a guide. (
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/How_to_make_filesystem_backups )
> (Ironically, I wrote that page in the wiki, but the page history
> doesn't show it!) :-)
>
> However, after the move, I noticed that several of my indexes (even
> some "_all_docs" views are wrong and stale. (Thankfully, the actually
> documents are still there, though.) I tried adding and updating new
> docs, and I tried simply querying the views to trigger a rebuild of
> the indexes. But so far, the indexes are still wrong. I even tried
> deleting the ".<db_name>_design" directories on the filesytem. So far,
> nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Is the new server running 0.8.0 as well? Is there a endian-difference
or a 32bit to 64bit upgrade? I'm not sure the last two things affect us,
but that could cause problems). Also: Could "stale" be due to some
HTTP proxy or browser cache?

Updating indexes can usually be triggered by changing the design doc
they are defined in and deleting the files should work as well.

It might also be worth upgrading, since a bit of work went into that
area since 0.8.0.

Cheers
Jan