couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Wall <jw...@google.com>
Subject Re: Why I have to know _rev to DELETE document?
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2009 16:42:27 GMT
You don't have to know the rev so you can delete a particular revision. The
rev is needed in delete for the same reason you need it in delete. It shows
CouchDB that you are deleting an unmodified document.

if the rev doesn't match then CouchDB will know the document was modified
after you last looked at it and can notify you. It helps to maintain
consistency in the database when more than one client is using it and is a
primary principles of CouchDB's design.