couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB check autogenerated document id's?
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 17:19:53 GMT

On Jan 2, 2009, at 11:32 AM, A.J. Brown wrote:

> Hmmm, while I knew the chances of a collision were slim, after
> reading the wikipedia page on UUIDs and the probability of a
> collision, I don't even think the question is worth asking :)

Heh, It's worth asking (it's means you are doing your job), but the
answer for all practical purposes is "it doesn't matter". The
documentation as stated is incorrect (for one thing, the UUID
generation request is independent of a database), and performing such
a check would be needlessly expensive, given the extremely low
likelihood of collision. And of course if there is a collision, it's
automatically detected and no data is lost.

-Damien