couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "A.J. Brown" ...@ajbrown.org>
Subject Does CouchDB check autogenerated document id's?
Date Fri, 02 Jan 2009 15:34:37 GMT
Hi all,

I'm writing a proof of concept for our organization to use couchdb for our content.  Part
of the task will be generating document Ids from legacy Ids (autonumber integers).    This
would be done by simply doing an md5() hash on the legacy id.

Since we're storing the same 32char hex string as our user-provided document ids, When CouchDB
generates an Id for a new document, will it make sure that ID doesn't exist first?  I know
the chances of generating the same exact ID are slim to none, but the question still remains.

--
A.J. Brown