couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 11:24:58 GMT
On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 12:03:16PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> On 6 Jan 2009, at 10:04, Christopher Lenz wrote:
>> This is really a matter of understanding the very basics of CouchDB,
>> so a simple RTFM is entirely appropriate in such cases IMO. And maybe
>> changing the tone of the corresponding docs to more strongly and
>> obviously discourage the use of temp views in production code.
>
> From the wiki:
>
>   "Temporary views are only good during development. Final code
>     should not rely on them as they are very expensive to compute
>     each time they get called and they get increasingly slower the
>     more data you have in a database. If you think you can't solve
>     something in a permanent view that you can solve in an ad-hoc
>     view, you might want to reconsider."
>
> This suits your requirements for documentation yet has failed to
> discourage their use.

And yet no one is proposing we remove MVCC, because misinterpreting this for a
revision system is by far the biggest and most common mistake I have
seen. Sometimes I think you just have to provide the documentation and point
people to it when they're banging their heads against the wall. I mean, for the
problem I mentioned we have this:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Document_revisions

If the temporary views are such a problem, why don't we have:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Temporary_views

Best,