couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Michael McDaniel <>
Subject Re: renamed _temp_view to _slow_view
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2009 16:33:46 GMT

 I am in agreement with Antony Blakey's statements below.  I was
 preparing such a statement when I read the post.
 I have worked with multiple software packages (as, certainly,
 most of you have) which have a form of "debug=true" and the
 accompanying *documentation* counseling against using it except
 for testing/debugging.

 There are modules in Erlang which have exported funs with
 documentation "for debug only".

 _temp_view is descriptive, documentation can inform proper useage.

 As mentioned in my previous post, I prefer keeping _temp_view

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:01:28PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
> How about relying on documentation?
> This view may be slow (or not, for a small db). I might use it for
> testing or ad-hoc maintenance. Who knows? The one thing you can say for
> certain is that it is temporary, unlike every other view. That is the
> defining characteristic of this facility, and hence _temp_view is the
> appropriate name.
> On 05/01/2009, at 9:03 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> How about _test_view?  Kinda gets the point across that it's for
>> testing.
> Antony Blakey
> CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
> Ph: 0438 840 787
> All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Michael McDaniel
Portland, Oregon, USA

View raw message