couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Current CouchDB state?
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:49:02 GMT

On Jan 28, 2009, at 8:59 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 8:26 AM, Kerr Rainey wrote:
>
>> 2009/1/28 Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com>:
>>> As long as it *is* the vision of the PMC, and not the vision of one
>>> person and the PMC, like sheep, simply accept it...
>>
>> I don't think the PMC are following anyone as sheep.  A single person
>> had a vision, expended a phenomenal amount of effort and risk in
>> bringing that vision to life.  He then gave it away.  That
>> engenders a
>> huge amount respect and willingness to listen to there opinion of the
>> subject.  I don't think it's a sign of weakness that the opinion of
>> the person who has done the most work and understands the code the
>> best is sought out by the rest of the PMC.
>>

> I'm not saying that one should not give that person's
> opinion a fair weighing. I'm also saying that vision
> is what the PMC defines, as a team, and as a group of
> people who all have a vision. That's what being on
> the PMC is about, being able to define that vision.
> Just just "rubber stamping" someone else's vision.
>
> I'm also not saying this is what is occurring; I'm only
> saying this a very real risk, esp for a recently graduated
> ASF TLP. If developers leave, or decide never to join
> because they fear that their voices will never be heard,
> or their input or "vision" will ever be valid, unless
> it happens to align with a single persons', then hopefully
> people see the problem and concern.

My vote counts the same as another else. If my opinion counts more
amongst the other PMC members and other members of the community, it
is not by decree or force. So perhaps we can agree that it's based on
merit, or at least the appearance of merit.

Developing a completely new distributed database platform is a lot of
work and takes a tremendous amount of mental effort. I and the other
project members try to consider the community at large with every
decision, but we simply cannot move forward if we need to address
everyones criticism and concerns for every decision. It's exhausting,
and no matter how much we try, we still can't make everyone happy. Yet
we must make progress.

The reason people keep deferring to my opinion here because they know
I have an opinion on this, one I have articulated to the other project
members and gotten consensus around. However, the other project
members cannot be expected to recall every detail of every decision
and why it was necessary. And we cannot be expected to answer in
detail every criticism and concern of "why isn't it another way?" And
so people defer to previously made decisions, knowing they we're made
thoughtfully and respectfully, even if we can't remember all the
details right now. It's not ideal, but it's reality. We are trying our
best to push the project forward.

-Damien