couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: drill into a doc with a GET?
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 11:28:39 GMT

On 08/01/2009, at 9:11 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> Eh?
>
> 1) This is the *ideal* place to explore diff support.  JSON came
> about because someone just did it and built things with it.

Totally agree.

> 2) Couch could easily support an update mechanism that would then be
> deprecated once Real(TM) "JSON diff" support showed up.

I certainly don't want to write an RFC, but the condition was that
partial updates wouldn't be considered unless it was an implementation
of an RFC, and if an RFC existed, it would very likely be incorporated.

> Fantastic.  So why don't you both implement your ideas in Couch and
> then let a broad spectrum of users w/ diverse applications test them
> and give feedback?  That seems like the only way something sane can
> come out.

Our disagreement was about the nature of the RFC - http://groups.google.com/group/json-diff/browse_thread/thread/595370127b665611

.

AFAIK Noah wasn't planning to do an implementation, and without in-
principle PMC agreement, it's not going to happen.

IMO there are more important, fundamental issues to deal with before
CouchDB commits to a released API.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

It's amazing that the one side of the conversation that survived is "I
don't know art, but I know what I like". The reply from the artist was
"Madam, so does a cow".
   -- Carl Kirkendall