couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Niket Patel <>
Subject Re: CouchDB huge performance difference between Mac OS / Linux
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:51:49 GMT
On Jan 30, 2009, at 5:37 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Reduce functions should not grow its output larger
> than log(n) where n is the number of input rows.
> Can somebody update the wiki with that info, I thought
> we have it? :)

On wiki, this may not be mentioned but discussed on mailing list
certainly many times.
Training one's procedural / OO brains to M/R/Rereduce with certain
restrictions is not easy.

Well, in my case reduce output is may not be strictly following log(n)
But if you mean per Key , it is reducing to single row from any number
of input rows for that key.

My problem seems to solve for now. with following change in M/R

// from forEach loop ...
values.forEach(function(r) {

// to simple for loops ...
for( var i in values ){

I don't know what is cost of each approach.

I wish if couchdb handle this things more gracefully with descriptive

Thanks for your answers.

View raw message