couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making Javascript methods available in views.
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:55:25 GMT
On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Christian Haselbach <chriss@mr-co.de> wrote:

> Thanks for the hint. I guess I'll need it more in actions than in views.
> Having certain js libraries available in actions certainly would make
> things easier.

Action.js is still very rough. I encourage you to try writing your own
servers, and to feel free to screw around with the action.js source
code.

The first optimization there is to cache copies of design documents in
local memory (so they only need to be requested on first use). Without
that optimization, I'd be wary of action.js as it stands for
production use. Lots of extra http io when it could be much simpler.

Resist the temptation to build applications in action.js. Applications
should be stored in design docs. However, keeping a JavaScript
controller framework in action.js, to be used by design docs, seems
like a fine way to roll. The important consideration is keeping apps
portable across CouchDB nodes.

I think the next important use case for _external is a full text
search interface (maybe something that queries a local lucene
instance, perhaps via http)

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com