couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <>
Subject Re: newbie question #1
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2008 14:12:59 GMT
On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. <> wrote:
> I'm really sorry - everyone please ignore this :)  I'm just an excited
> newbie on vacation...

Don't be! Some of use have been working with this long enough we may
not be seeing the forest for the trees. Like Antony mentioned,
renaming those things to "_id" and "_rev" isn't out of the question

> On Dec 28, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Noah Slater wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 08:47:44AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> Fair enough.  I just never seem to understand what I'm getting in return
>> Easy answer. Where else would you store this information? Moving this
>> outside of
>> the document would necessarily involve implementation complexity for both
>> client
>> and server, which is a trade-off.
> I kinda don't understand this, because from my reading of the docs, it seems
> like responses from the various API calls (e.g.  _all_docs, just getting a
> doc, views...)  are all different, so the client already needs to handle a
> wide-array of "shapes".

The two basic types are getting raw documents and getting view
results. There are a few slight differences in each that require some
logic, but if you look at in couchdb-python as a rough
example the entire api has been implemented in 951 lines. (Which
includes copius documentation)

> But... I really didn't want to start a long thread on this :)
> I'm going to go off and poke around a bit and get a better feel for all the
> response formats...
> geir

Also, feel free to join us in #couchdb on there's
generally always someone around willing to answer questions.

Paul Davis

View raw message