couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 Progress
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:08:33 GMT

On 31/12/2008, at 1:18 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for feedback on the canonical/derived containment
>> issue, the
>> idea of having a defined directory for _externals to store data,
>> and the
>> idea of putting said directory/ies into the dbinfo call (and hence
>> also each
>> _external request).
>>

> So we're looking for something like (modified the dir structure so
> that derived data is easily symlinked/configed to another drive):
>
> my-favorite-db-6c38ab2b68f86d2c9.couch/
>   name
>   data
>
> my-favorite-db-6c38ab2b68f86d2c9.indexes/
>    views/
>       my-design-doc-8ab2b68f866c3d2c9.view/
>          name
>          data
>       my-other-design-doc-c3d2c98ab2b68f866.view/
>          name
>          data
>    my-external-indexer/
>        whatever
>    my-other-external/
>
> where  _external scripts can choose whatever non-conflicting directory
> name they'd like, within the derived data part. (and store it however
> they'd like...)

OK, but putting each external dir into the top level namespace opens
the possibility of collision should couch want to put something else
into the indexes directory. Maybe that directory should be _view/,
with an API rule that names with a leading '_' are reserved :)

> Also with the added optimization that when slug == the db name we
> don't add the hash to the dirname.
>
> I'm not sure about the db-info call's details (obviously externals
> need the information, but we might not want to send it to http
> clients...)

An external may also want to munge an arbitrary name using the same
algorithm (it may be driven by multiple design docs). IMO an RPC-like
HTTP endpoint that munges a name would be sufficient. How about dbinfo
providing the munged form of it's indexes directory name i.e. the
leaf, not the path. The _external can already get the indexes
directory from the /_config request, presuming that /_config is
available to the external - #168 should be resolved if the external is
going to be responsible for constructing the directory. Failing that,
the external can be given a directory to use on it's invocation
command line, but it will still want to be able to munge names.

> Consider yourself approved for landing. The work you have so far at
> http://github.com/AntonyBlakey/couchdb/tree/escaped_filenames seems
> sane, so it's just a matter of polishing it.

Will do.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence
or ability.
  -- Flower A. Newhouse