couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Patrick Aljord" <patc...@gmail.com>
Subject partial/diff updates?
Date Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:20:56 GMT
On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> The problem is that this would be a synthetic benchmark. I'd still very
> much like to
> see a real world application that shows in numbers that it needs partial
> updates.

Partial updates would be good in the user/group/membership situation. Right
now, I have to create a membership doc to store the user_id and group_id in
it. If I could do partial updates, I would store all the user_ids inside a
field of a group doc such as:

"memberships": [user_id1, user_id2, etc]

I could do this right now, but what if I want to update or delete a
membership? If a group has a million users, I'd need to post the whole doc
and that would definitely not scale compared to a partial update that would
just send a little diff IMO.

PS: I'm resending this mail to user@couchdb.apache.org