couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Jason Huggins" <ja...@jrandolph.com>
Subject Re: Auto-adding additional fields on PUT/POST? (datetime stamps)
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2008 03:07:06 GMT
On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Jedediah Smith
<jedediah@silencegreys.com> wrote:
> The new validation functions might be able to do this for you if they are
> allowed to modify the document. Whether or not they are was asked on the dev
> list but not answered. I hope they are as that would be endlessly useful. It
> would be *really* neat if a function could also handle merging for revision
> conflicts.

Are validation functions in trunk or a released version?... or still
on the drawing board? (I suppose I should switch to the dev list to
ask that question to a more targeted audience.) :-)

I have another idea for tracking timestamps and other meta-data.  I
think I'll create a meta-data database for each "real" database.
Since I'd like to give my users free reign to edit their own documents
in the real database, but *not* be able to edit createdAt and
lastModified timestamps. So, with a meta-data db, I can set it up so
only my server has write permission to that meta-db, but the user can
read from it.

The downside is that combining the data and meta-data into a unified
view of the document would have to happen on the client side, not on
the couchdb side, since (as I understand it), couchdb can't do
cross-database map/reducing views.

- jason huggins
  http://saucelabs.com