couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <adam.kocolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: help regarding couchdb python view server
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:47:01 GMT
On Dec 15, 2008, at 4:05 PM, mobiledreamers@gmail.com wrote:

> how do we write couchdb map reduce queries in python.
>
> i have searched extensively but unable to find a good doc
>
> Please point me to solutions
> i hope this leads to not writing queries in js
> Thanks

Hi, hopefully this helps to get you started ...

Step 1: Install the couchdb-python library.  You can get it using
"easy_install couchdb" or by installing from the Google Code source (http://code.google.com/p/couchdb-python/

)

Step 2: You should now have a "couchpy" script in your Python scripts
directory (e.g. /usr/local/bin).  That's the Python view server.  Now
you need to tell CouchDB to use that view server for design documents
written in Python.  You do this by adding the following to ${PREFIX}/
etc/couchdb/local.ini:

[query_servers]
python = /path/to/couchpy

If you like, you can use the runtime configuration ability of CouchDB
to send this information to the server:

curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/_config/query_servers/python -d '"/
path/to/couchpy"'

Step 3: Make sure your design doc specifies "language":"python"

Step 4: The syntax for a python view looks like

def mapfun(doc):
     yield doc["somekey"], doc["somevalue"]

def reducefun(keys, values, rereduce):
     return sum(values)