couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Christopher McComas" <mccomas.ch...@gmail.com>
Subject General Q about CouchDB
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:46:35 GMT
I'm new to CouchDB, really think it'll open up a lot of exciting things for
me, and other developers.
So, since CouchDB is not a Relational database management system, would it
not be wise/recommended/whatever to use it for say the following setup?
(Note, coming from a relational background, along with PHP and now
python/django).

Say, we have a blog, a normal setup for a blog with Django would be:

TABLE blog
id
title
entry
date
categories (relational to 'category' table)

TABLE category
id
title

I think based on our above it'd make sense to use a MySQL, Postgres, etc db,
since it is a relation setup. One thing I've done though is added a 'link'
field to my blog, so that if I want to post a link, instead of a normal blog
entry I'd just enter the URL in that field, and my templates/HTML know that
if URL is not empty display it as a link to the external URL, as opposed to
the normal blog entry. I think this is where CouchDB would come into play,
so that for all of my entries I won't have either a blank link or entry
field taking up wasted space in the database, and CouchDB would be
perfection for this setup.

Would it be wrong to try to do the category piece as related in CouchDB?
What would be the best way to do it, so that you can have a page,
myblog.com/categories/this-category/ that'd then display all the entries for
that category? What would be proper?

Again, just really interested in this, trying to learn more about it, so it
can help my day job, and my fun side projects a lot nicer.

Thanks,

Chris