couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <adam.kocolo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 Progress
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2008 05:57:50 GMT
On Dec 30, 2008, at 9:48 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 5:34 PM, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for feedback on the canonical/derived containment
>> issue, the
>> idea of having a defined directory for _externals to store data,
>> and the
>> idea of putting said directory/ies into the dbinfo call (and hence
>> also each
>> _external request).
>>

> So we're looking for something like (modified the dir structure so
> that derived data is easily symlinked/configed to another drive):
>
> my-favorite-db-6c38ab2b68f86d2c9.couch/
>   name
>   data
>
> my-favorite-db-6c38ab2b68f86d2c9.indexes/
>    views/
>       my-design-doc-8ab2b68f866c3d2c9.view/
>          name
>          data
>       my-other-design-doc-c3d2c98ab2b68f866.view/
>          name
>          data
>    my-external-indexer/
>        whatever
>    my-other-external/

+1 for being able to easily move derived data around.  In fact, I
think it'd be better if all the derived data on the server shared a
common root that was separate from the canonical data.  I opened a
ticket (#168) about this a month ago.  Sorry I didn't chime earlier on
the ML to voice that viewpoint.  Best,

Adam