couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: newbie question #1
Date Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:53:25 GMT

On Dec 28, 2008, at 4:42 PM, Flinn Mueller wrote:

> On Dec 28, 2008, at 11:22 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>> You don't need to change it, but you might need to wrapper it.
>>> This is like complaining that you can't mail someone a postcard
>>> that contains in the message the address of someone other than the
>>> recipient. If you have that problem, then put it in an envelope.
>>
>> I respectfully disagree - I don't think that's an appropriate
>> analogy at all.
>
> I think the analogy is perfect actually.  Wasn't it also established
> that you could set _id and _rev arbitrarily anyway?  The above only
> matters if you put the postcard in the mail.  If I address the
> postcard then hand deliver it then it really doesn't matter what the
> address is anyway does it?

You can't set them arbitrarily - you can't have a two documents with
the same ID, right?

We figured out the disconnect on IRC - all documents that CouchDB
stores are JSON, but not all JSON documents can be stored by CouchDB.

I mistakenly jumped to the conclusion that CouchDB could store any
JSON doc, but to be fair, that's never stated or claimed.  I inferred
it from the bullet about being "Ad-hoc and schema-free", but it turns
out that doesn't mean what I thought it meant.

I'm coming at the problem from a different direction - rather than
looking for a persistence engine that stores data as JSON, I'm looking
for a persistence engine that stores JSON documents.  It's easy to
build on top of CouchDB, so I'm going to explore that.

geir