couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dan Woolley <danwool...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple search criteria with ranges
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:06:25 GMT
I'm researching Couchdb for a project dealing with real estate listing
data.  I'm very interested in Couchdb because the schema less nature,
RESTful interface, and potential off-line usage with syncing fit my
problem very well.  I've been able to do some prototyping and search
on ranges for a single field very successfully.  I'm having trouble
wrapping my mind around views for a popular use case in real estate,
which is a query like:

Price = 350000-400000
Beds = 4-5
Baths = 2-3

Any single range above is trivial, but what is the best model for
handling this AND scenario with views?  The only thing I've been able
to come up with is three views returning doc id's - which should be
very fast - with an array intersection calculation on the client
side.  Although I haven't tried it yet, that client side calculation
worries me with a potential document with 1M records - the client
would potentially be dealing with calculating the intersection of
multiple 100K element arrays.  Is that a realistic calculation?

Please tell me there is a better model for dealing with this type of
scenario - or that this use case is not well suited for Couchdb at
this time and I should move along.

Dan Woolley
profile:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/danwoolley
company:  http://woolleyrobertson.com