couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is CouchDB allowing the use of "startkey_docid" parameter in views?
Date Tue, 25 Nov 2008 17:37:44 GMT
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Pablo Sortino <psortino@gmail.com> wrote:
> A view with startkey_docid is not working.

startkey_docid is only meant as a method to make finer distinctions
than startkey alone can make. That is, it should have no effect unless
you have rows in your view with the same key, and have specified a
startkey.

When you have, say, many many docs all with the same date, so that
startkey and endkey alone would not be sufficient to give a small
range of them, the startkey_docid and endkey_docid can be used to
specify a sub range of rows which all have the same key.

The view storage engine stores the rows under the meta-key: {key,
docid} so queries usually just ignore the docid, but when a startkey
as well as a startkey_docid are both specified, then the comparison
includes the docid part of the meta-key as well.

...maybe not my clearest explanation ever, but I hope it helps.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com