couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Anderson" <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: action servers
Date Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:42:53 GMT
Dean, what OS are you on? I'm due to try a from-scratch install on a
VM, and I've got a MacBook laying around that needs action2, so I'll
try those installs in the next couple of days. Hopefully it's
something easy to fix when I've reproduced it.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM, Dean Landolt <dean@deanlandolt.com> wrote:
> (I hope you don't mind my poking around your db internals, jchris)

Please feel free to as long as you play nice. If you'd like to deploy
your feed reader to my CouchDB, you're welcome to. No promises about
uptime!

> It's got everything you referenced (and the paths look right -- it's a
> strait install). So I'm still at a loss. Ah well -- I'm trying to slap
> together an unobtrusive google reader clone so I've gots plenty to do before
> I need to worry about persistence. I can just do everything in the browser
> in the meantime.

Very cool. I'm working on a Twitter client, and it hasn't even needed
to dip into action servers yet. The main action use I can see for you
would be as a built-in proxy for fetching RSS feeds.

The Twitter client is up on my public couch now. I haven't tried it on
anything but a Mac with firefox/firebug or Safari. It seems to work.
Please let me know if it works for you!

http://jchris.mfdz.com:5984/twitter-client/_design%2Ftwitter-client/index.html

(I don't store passwords, or even see them - the browser just basic
auth's with Twitter's JSONP api.) There's a cosmetic problem when
posting status updates, where Twitter's response gets downloaded
instead of silently hitting the iframe... I sure hope I can solve that
while still maintaining the direct user-twitter connection.

> I haven't even gotten started yet and I think I'm starting to love this
> javascript + javascript development.

Glad you like it!

--
Chris Anderson