couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 05:06:49 GMT
The JS PATCH function is definitely an interesting idea, but I think
is not at all going to fix the issue. How many use cases are going to
be able to reduce an update operation to a function?

Most use cases that I see are of the nature: "Download JSON,
deserialize to native language, mutate, serialize, send to server".
Anyone that wants write an abstract "mutate" -> JS function thing has
props in my book.

It is forseable that you could treat it as a stored procedure though.
As in the function signature becomes "function(doc, input)" and input
is a complex JSON object that is used in the updated. This almost has
actual use in terms of the earlier thread on transaction semantics
that I assume would be implementable. But really the transaction idea
is a whole new can of worms in terms of couch would have to be allowed
to request multiple documents in one transaction etc.

I think related to Noah's original sentiment of getting some diff
system set up way outside of couch in JSON land that's implementable
in any language for anything is the best bet.

Paul