couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Davis" <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 02:34:14 GMT
I don't think we need canonical JSON.

The Spec definitely needs to be disambiguated though. As I see it
there are two interpretations:

1. Order of fields matters which means repeated fields are ok
2. Order does not matter which means repeated fields are NOT ok

It doesn't matter which is chosen, but one of them must be to make this work.

Also, I got bored. So I implemented JSON diff in python for Case #2.

http://www.davispj.com/svn/projects/json-diff/json-diff.py

I gotta jet, but when I get home in a bit I'm gonna write a JSON fuzz
library and then pound the diff thing with it.

Not sure if it's obvious or not, but switching from case 2 to 1 is
straightforward. Also, my current array diff implementation is kinda
whack. And indels screw the rest of the diff, as in, its not so much a
diff as a delete rest and add new. Getting this optimal is actually an
N^2 runtime algorithm via dynamic programming (smith-waterman style)

Also, do note that the erlang parser and python (and i assume ruby is
in the python boat) have different behaviors in respect to the 2
cases. Erlang is Case 1, python is case 2.

Paul