couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:24:14 GMT

On Nov 13, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Michael Ramirez wrote:

> If I begin breaking up my documents into related documents aren't I
> just creating a relational database?

this is where i find myself too: all the modeling issues with couch
seem illicit this suggestion.  the issue is that it's quite difficult
to manipulate multiple docs without facilities like 'select for
update' and 'begin transaction'.  so far the only approach i've come
up with, once docs are split out, is to read them all, perform the
update, and the write them all back.  otherwise any computed value
risks being based on stale data.

it really does seem strange to me that so many solutions to couch
involve re-creating relational constructs - like there must be a
better way....

a @ http://codeforpeople.com/
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama