couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 00:32:35 GMT

On 14/11/2008, at 10:07 AM, Noah Slater wrote:

> I did some digging to see what else is out there:
> *
> *
> updates/
> *
> *
> 0316.html
> *
> I think I agree that if this was to hit CouchDB it should be done
> via the PATCH
> method, makes the most sense given the context.

My only concern with PATCH is that it isn't HTTP 1.1. When I was
working with WebDAV we continually had problems with proxies that
didn't deal with non-HTTP-1.1 methods.

IMO the only other alternative is a POST with either a content-type,
although I feel uneasy about that if the content actually *is* JSON,
or a query parameter.

Alternatively you could use a POST to an extended URL, but that
interferes with attachments. And as I understand it, that would only
truly qualify as REST if it was included in a document e.g.
discoverable rather than specified.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Did you hear about the Buddhist who refused Novocain during a root
His goal: transcend dental medication.

View raw message