couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Document Updates
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:05:03 GMT

On 14/11/2008, at 2:32 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 12:32:18PM +1030, Antony Blakey wrote:
>> You would want to allow partial updates in a bulk operation, so any
>> packaging would need to be usable in that context as well. Given
>> updates
>> need to be handled separately, maybe deletions should be as well.
>>  "PUT": [
>>  "PATCH": [
>>  "DELETE": [
>
> We shouldn't be tunneling verbs though media types, this is
> antithetical to the
> principals of REST and would harm all manner of possible
> intermediary clients.

I'm not tunneling verbs, I'm just re-using the names of the methods
that would normally be used as selectors. I wasn't implying anything
more than that.

Couch's bulk operation already has this issue. You delete a document
using the DELETE verb, yet in a bulk operation you set the "_deleted"
special attribute. That is in effect tunneling the DELETE, using a
different representation, within a POST.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
deficiencies.
   -- C. A. R. Hoare