couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: partial/diff updates?
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:01:49 GMT

On 28/11/2008, at 10:36 AM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> The question becomes why not just use seperate docs?

Because the difficulty of doing real joins in a map/reduce framework
leads to larger documents that are destructured into smaller fragments
(views) using map/reduce, as opposed to the RDBM philosophy of using
small normalized fragments that are combined into larger results by
query joins.

This is how I have come to think of CouchDB (and I think it's an
aesthetic conceptualization), hence my interest in partial updates,
which IMO are one requirement to round out CouchDB's applicability.

I guess partial gets are actually views, so that's something of a
furphy, although it's expensive to maintain access-path equivalence
between a view and it's source document because it requires either
awareness on the client of the mapping from view to original document
structure, or the full document needs to be included in the view,
which reduces views to indexes.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

75% of statistics are made up on the spot.